Friday, April 20, 2007

The Sound of Music


My parents are music people. In fact, my dad taught 6th, 7th & 8th grade music appreciation classes, band and chorus until he retired some years ago. He was the choir director at my church when I was growing up. My parents played in a community orchestra most of my growing up years. My brother and I were surrounded by music. My family listened to Cats, The Phantom of the Opera, orchestras, choral music and .... country music. And this was back in the day when country wasn't cool. :)

We watched very little TV - well, unless Wheel of Fortune counts. But, "back in the day" before videos and DVDs (O my goodness, I'm getting old) when the networks would show classic movies - we watched. I remember watching The Wizard of Oz every year. And The Sound of Music. When I was young, I'm sure I failed to appreciate the wonderful music - but I loved the fancy costumes, and watching little Gretel sing "The sun has gone to bed and so must I.. " And I still know all the words to "My Favorite Things."

I watched The Sound of Music with my kids the last 2 nights. It brought back such wonderful memories of my and my family snuggled on the couch and in the floor watching. And tonight, snuggled with my own kids watching the magical story. Even though it was filmed in 1965, there is still something magical about the story.

And do you remember that Lisle, the oldest girl, is in love with Rolph - the telegram boy? I had to stop the movie several times to explain things (nun, baroness, governess, etc..) but the one that got me tickled was the telegram. Of course, my 5 yr old had no idea what that was! She was quite stunned that there was a world before telephones. Wait until she finds out there was a world before the internet!

What are some of the funny things your kids have asked that show how young they are?

5 comments:

Susan said...

Memories!

Momma Roar said...

What a special time. I loved that movie too!
I can't think of any funny things at the moment, but I loved that you didn't phrase it "that show how old we are!" LOL
Have a great weekend!!

Unknown said...

Olivia has recently developed a curiosity about Elvis after seeing some billboards on the highway in Memphis. I told her that I still have the old Elvis record I listened to when I was a kid and she asked, "What is a record?" They also cannot fathom a world without remote controls!

Heather K said...

I love that movie too! It's a family favourite here. We were talking about movies the other day and I told the kids, when I was in my teens they were just coming out with VCRs and if we wanted to watch a movie- we rented a movie along with the VCR! And to top it off- it cost about $20. They couldn't believe it! Imagine that hey...a life without rental movies?!

Just Mom said...

Good movie. Great music. I used to sing "My Favorite Things" to get my son to fall asleep when he was a newborn.